Wednesday, March 30, 2011

retroesophageal abscess

Sounds great right? This little tongue twister would be the reason why I have been absent lately.  After we came home March 5th I kept noticing that I had a sore throat and was worried about a cold coming on. A couple of days went by and my throat was still sore but no cold so I thought I was doing a  great job of keeping a cold at bay.  Then  a week goes by and I am SOOO tired. I couldn't believe how hard it was to get out of bed and do my mommy things.  I kept thinking that maybe it was depression? perhaps a delayed reaction to all of the changes in our lives....but kept going because my family needed me.  Then Monday the 21st the throat seemed pretty bad but I had to teach 2 dance classes so on I go, made it through belly dance-but now I had what felt like muscle aches up and down the back of my neck.  Kept chugging water, and pushed on-by midway through my Zumba class I was REALLY worried, I could feel that my muscles were not responding properly and I had 0 energy.  My class actually stopped to check on me...so we called it quits 10 minutes early and I drove home.  Then followed 2 days and nights of what I thought was the worst flu I had had in YEARS.  Of course during the days I am still taking care of Little Bear-but truly just barely making it through, I felt horrible physically and emotionally because I knew I was not at my best and felt that I was cheating him.  Wed, I called hubby home early and inssisted on going to the Dr. who at first couldn't fit me in thank goodness for a cancellation and off to the Dr. we went.  She noticed an infection, prescribed some antibiotics and other tests and off to the pharmacy we go.  By the time I arrive at the pharmacy the Dr. called and wanted me back.  She suspected the abscess and insisted we needed to drive (3hours) to Winnipeg emergency where she had a Dr. waiting for me.  (I didn't know that left untreated this was almost always fatal).  Suffice it to say that after 3 hours waiting in Emergency I finally was in had CT scans, blookwork etc. and was admitted overnight.  Had surgery by 11am the next day and just got out of hospital on Saturday.  My wonderful mom flew up from Wyoming to let me recover while she took care of Biya....now the road to recovery will hopefully be swift!!! 

 I would like life to settle into some kind of "normal" anytime now.  Unfortunately we seem to attract trouble and drama.  Anyway, if you don't hear from me for a while its just because I am trying to recover as swiftly as possible. 

8 comments:

Brendan and Mary said...

Oh my goodness! Thank God your dr. caught it anf you went when you did. Take care of yourself!

Mary

Carey said...

That is terrible, so glad you on the road to recovery, but what a thing to have to deal with after you have your little bear home. Wishing you a speedy recovery!

Connie said...

Yikes! Glad the doctor caught it and got you some treatment so quick. Wishing you a quick recovery.

Ranavan said...

Oh Stephanie! How awful!!! So glad your doc was on the ball!!!!

Feel better soon! Take care of you!

Anonymous said...

Stephanie!! So glad you got your care when you did. Thank goodness for mom's too!

Rest up, we're thinking of you!

Jennifer said...

WOW--I was wondering where you were at! I hope recovery goes quickly for you!!

Becky Avella said...

Thank you for your sweet note today on my blog. I've been so busy lately I haven't been reading my favorite blogs and I missed the chance to congratulate YOU! I'm love with your sweet baby boy and the joy on your face in the pictures. : )

Yay!Yay!Yay!!!!!!

I'm also so glad your doctor caught the abscess and that you are healing. Life as a new mom is tough enough. You'll be in my prayers.

Love,
Becky

hazel said...

Oh wow! That sounds terrible. I'm so glad you've been diagnosed, fixed up, and are recovering. Take care of yourself, Mommy.