Thursday, September 18, 2008

Shimmy and Shake



I had an icky day at work. In the interests of being professional I will leave it at that.



The good news is that Belly Dance resumed tonight! I love teaching that class- I always feel good about myself mentally, physically, spiritually when I'am finished. Helping other women see the beauty in their own bodies is very fulfilling. I love "corrupting" them. Generally they come to class covered head to toe in sweats/workout gear. By the end of the year I can see bellies! Its a great thing to be able to love your own body no matter its size and shape. It's the only body we have, and if its functional that is worth celebrating!!!


Here is my "advertising" pic for belly dance. I think it shows that I am comfortable with my curves and very feminine. Some people act as though my art is some kind of strip tease. Farthest thing from it. There is a big difference between sensual and sexual. Middle Eastern dance is by women for women. Rarely have I let a man watch me dance, and only at special functions such as weddings. This is something I do for me, my own personal well being

It feels good to have this part of myself back again! I hope everyone does something healthy for themselves today.

5 comments:

hazel said...

What a beautiful picture and how wonderful that you are a dance teacher! I just started taking belly dancing 2 weeks ago and I love it.

Ranavan said...

You go girl!! I have always admired women who belly dance! Hmmm....maybe I should take up belly dancing!!!

Your "advertising" photo is beautiful

P.S. I am going to go weight train today for my healthy self - I intend to start running again soon too.

Stephanie said...

Thanks ladies! Haze, so glad you are loving your experience! Who is your teacher?

Rana, give it a go if you have someone around! I promise, you won't be disappointed!

hazel said...

My teacher is Cathy ("Cheerefa"). Classes are at the Nat Christie Centre.

Colleen and JF Bertrand said...

I think belly dancing looks like SO much fun!! Your picture is gorgeous.

Not only are you guys an American-Canadian-Ethiopian family like us, but you have a brindled dog, just like us!! Too funny! Glad you found us! We will continue to follow your journey.

Kindest regards,
Colleen