Sunday, September 26, 2010

Back to the Distraction List!


I am driving myself nuts with stress and worry so back to the distraction list.



Technique Number One:  Keep VERY busy
        My Current Schedule looks something like this:
  1. Full Time Teacher-40 hours minimum per week-find time to mark and plan in evenings and weekends.
  2. Teach Belly Dancing Monday nights for an hour (super excited to get this going tomorrow!)
  3. Teach Zumba Monday (after Belly Dance), Wednesday, and Friday evenings
  4. Add in teaching Zumba on Thursday nights starting in October.
  5. Find time to practice presentations for Math program (presenting to other teachers 3 times over next two months), create posters, refine power point, make and take games etc.(of course my division does NOT give me time to do this-all the prep is on my own time), then facilitate monthly meetings thereafter
  6. Present on second math technology program once in Oct. (must remember to prep for this sometime)
  7. Start Dance Club to be held 1-2 times per week after school (I refuse to coach a sport so this is my compromise)
  8. This week alone I have 2 "must attend" school functions

Technique Number Two: When not doing one of the above listed items-cook!
  I am no Julia Child but lately my nesting habits have been in overdrive. This weekend alone I have made "Dump Cake", meatballs in 2 different sauces (one for parties one for spaghetti), 2 casseroles, and Parmesan potatoes (currently in oven). I also have ready to go in my freezer homemade stew, hamburger soup, buffalo chicken wing soup, and a lentil bake. No I am not crazy! Cooking this way ensures healthy meals for my wee family that merely need to defrost and heat. We have enough now that I shouldn't need to really cook for about 2 weeks. If I don't do this type of cooking every night becomes "I'm too tired to cook" and we spend way too much money on pizza and other eating out. Which we cannot afford to do given the extended adoption wait times and US$ each month that we are shelling out for Little Bear's care. I am not in the slightest upset about providing for my son- he is ours and WE WILL CARE/PROVIDE FOR HIM....however ask me how happy I am about the extended wait times, constantly changing process, lack of information, and general VISA wait issues and my left eye starts to twitch....ahem  back on topic :)

Technique Number Three: When in doubt drink!
  Currently I am a big fan of these wines: http://www.grandprewines.ns.ca/winery/wines/  their Pomme d'Or is amazing, also love http://www.blomidonwine.com/  the Baco Noir with any BBQ food is fabulous!  We brought back several cases of wine with us from Nova Scotia and these two vineyards were our favourites.   But hey -anything will do for distraction. I personally love to sip wine while gazing out at our currently spectacular view of the lake in its Fall foliage.

Stay tuned for more distraction techniques!  I hope your life is blissful enough not to need them!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Freezer meals rock! Our school staff had a "Big Cook" today. WE made 12 meals for each family....so 12 staff, 12 meals, + 3 sides for each family, a lot of work, but my freezer looks awesome!!

Ranavan said...

You are my inspiration to get my butt in gear and start cooking!

Can you email me your lentil bake recipe and your meatball recipe :)

Shauna said...

That is a full distraction list lady! wow!
I would also love your to get your lentil bake recipe! please?

Mmaba said...

What a busy and inspiring lady! I would like to join your belly dancing and zumba classes. Note that I have two left feet and never danced in my life! Any info on venue, time etc on classes?

lindsmor said...

I love the big cook have done it 3 times now! Best thing ever!

Can I ask you what grade you teach? I am teaching grade 5 Math for the first time this year!Would love some great ideas...

lindsay.morhart@htcsd.ca

Stephanie said...

My dance classes can be found on Monday nights in Killarney. The group is fabulous and tonnes of fun!

Janice said...

Whoa! Just reading that made me tired. I'm a teacher too and I know how busy it can get. You've got so much extra stuff going on on top of the regular job.
Will you continue to teach dance when Little Bear is home?

Your post really made me want to have some casseroles bubbling in my oven.

Stephanie said...

Once our man is home I will continue to teach dance-but plan to scale it back quite a bit. Currently I am in three different towns so I plan to drop one town completely, and cut back another from 2 nights a week to just 1. The creativity and adult time I think will be essential for my own personal sanity, (and hubby relishes the idea of alone time with L.B.) but we've worked so hard to bring him into our lives I want all the time I can get! :)