Sunday, January 23, 2011

The Conversation That Wouldn't Die

You know the one I mean....well this had an interesting twist .

Scene: After Zumba workout (Keep in mind I tried really hard to be nice because she is a client)

Her: Conratulations on your adoption!

Me: Thanks we are very excited to bring our little boy home.

Her: Yes, your daughter is lovely.

Me:  We have a son, but thank you, we think he is adorable too.

Her: No, your daughter, the dark girl who rides my sons bus.

Insert my confused look. I know the girl she is referring to, who is hispanic, and adopted but no relation to me.

Me: Oh, you mean *****, she is a lovely girl but not my daughter.  As I said, I have a son, who is currently living in Ethiopia.  At this point I am desperate to get out of this conversation "thanks again" I say trying to get her to go....but oh no....

Her:  SO you have a son....

ME: Yes, he is 12 months old, we hope to bring him home soon,  lovely talking to you, I have to run.....

Her: So, you know (mischeivious twinkle in her eye) that as soon as you bring him home you will get pregnant right?

Me: What makes you think that? (Now I jsut want to see how big a hole she will dig herself into)

Her: Well, my sister-in-laws cousin was overweight like you and as soon as she was chasing that toddler around the house and lost some weight she got pregnant right away. 

Me:  Well, I guess its good that I am leading the Zumba fitness classes then.

Her: Oh yes, plus it will help you relax. That's key you know, relaxing, it seems that people get too tense trying to have babies and that mental block gets in the way.  Once you relax and lose weight it will all get better.

Me: Un huh, so that's all it took? Relaxing and losing weight....wow, 7 years of Dr's visits and they missed that. Thanks for the tip.

Her: Not a problem, have a great evening! (No she never caught on to the sarcasm)

....and she finally walked away

Ok, so I am childless, fat, and tense......thanks for hitting all of my sensitive spots in one quick blow. 

13 comments:

CinnamonOpus said...

So, let me get this straight... I'm infertile because I'm fat and tense? Huh. Who knew? And to think I wasted all that money on IVF when I could have been spending it on partying hard, drinking, getting massages and entering marathons.

Here. Let me punch that woman in the junk for you.

::thwack!!::

There. I feel much better. Much more relaxed. And I bet it helped my fitness too! Like a workout! Oooh I bet I'll just get pregnant the second I look at my husband now!!

And if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go bang my forehead on my desk awhile.

Sorry you have to deal with the stupid.

Connie said...

Oh, I can't believe how insensitive some people are and don't have a clue! I was always told too that I'll get pregnant right after we adopt. My doctor even told me that! Sheesh!

People tell me even now that "maybe you'll get pregnant, then you won't have to adopt again!" Geez, have you ever thought that maybe, just MAYBE we WANT to adopt and NOT get pregnant???

Melissa said...

Do you own a taser? You should start carrying a taser...

Carolyn said...

Unbelievable!!!! I know that people say stupid things but this one takes the cake. Not only stupid but down right RUDE!!! You did well to stay calm. I think I would have said something rather nasty! I HATE when people tell me that I will now get pregnant! It is an awful thing to say to someone. I agree- buy a taser!!

Carolyn

Marcy Payne said...

OH.MY.WORD. This is the first time I've ever read your blog and right away I knew I was in the right place. Why do people insist on this line of conversation? REally?? I'm sorry you had to endure that. I had people say something like that except I said back to them "So, you know I've been pregnant seven times right?" Yah the relaxing really does the trick **Insert sarcasm** Could you tell my body to relax because I keep getting pregnant and can't seem to keep the babies. Oh yah, that makes them SQUIRM! Sorry to say, but I got a certain evil pleasure from it.

Anonymous said...

I had a similar conversation not very long ago but the lady also insisted that my daughter wasn't really my "own daughter"...you know gotta love that $%^#@!%^ conversation!!!

Ah, people are stupid!!!

june said...

Well, even if they were true, all those things are still better than being TERMINALLY STUPID. Lord.

Brendan and Mary said...

That woman deserves a swift kick to the head! I am impressed you never took her down in that moment...you have a lot more self control than I do!

Brendan and Mary said...

That woman deserves a swift kick to the head! I am impressed you never took her down in that moment...you have a lot more self control than I do!

K_I_T_ said...

oh for the love......seriously....she needs to get a life.

Jennifer said...

my jaw just hit the floor, how stupid do people really have to be, honestly??? I can't believe she never caught on to the sarcasm-HAHAHA!! WOW!! Good on yah for holding your own there!

Anonymous said...

Ok, I just hopped over here from Cinn's blog and for the love of all that's unholy!!! SERIOUSLY! What RUDENESS! The older I get the more I think people in general are just stupid.

I'm sorry you had that experience, no one should ever be subjected to such rude insensitivity. (and that's being polite)

Tova

Becky Avella said...

No, no, no!!! Please tell me this wasn't a real conversation. Ugh...the things people say. : (

It helps to remember their heart and motivation instead of their actual words.