Sunday, August 10, 2008

Reframing My Thinking

After much internal debate I have changed my ticker to reflect my new attitude about waiting for a referral. With the ticker that counted up, I would get a bit discouraged every day hoping that I might get to be the lucky person who gets a referral earylier that the projected wait times of 8-15 months.

Unrealistic, and unfair to myself in trying to have any sense of a life outside of "the BIG WAIT". So instead I have created a ticker that counts down from 15 months. I first thought of this after seeing Ricki H. switch hers for the last "push" towards a referral. But dismissed it as not something that I needed at this time.

Then, after meeting and talking with some other wonderful "waiting" couples at the BBQ Saturday I realized that my child referral WILL come in time. My only question at this point is how I want this wait to be for my family. If I spend all my time stressing over when the referral may come, am I becoming the best parent that I can be? Am I using my time wisely and enjoying these last precious months with DH? Hence, the backwards ticker. I am going to assume that a referral will not arrive until the 15 months time frame. In reality I am also preparing myself for the fact that the timelines could also be extended again, so even 18 months is possible I suppose. For now I will stick with the agency's proposed timelines.

So, I have 15 months to whip my butt into shape, have fun, create memories, and become the best me that I can be for the sake of my future child. Hope this makes sense to everyone.

4 comments:

Ranavan said...

Hey Curvy Runner!

I found your blog thru Haze's and thought I would pop over and say Hi!

I see your dossier just went to Ethiopia...I am looking forward to following your journey :)

My husband and I are almost 9 months into the wait...gotta be soon right!?!?

Hope you had fun at the CAFAC BBQ...we are goint to go next year.

Rana

Stephanie said...

Thanks for visiting! I've visited your blog before and so I am glad to have you here visiting me! The BBQ was great. I met some wonderful families and it was a great "kid fix".

Good luck, here's hoping you'll hear something soon!
Stephanie

Ranavan said...

Thanks Stephanie!

I linked your blog...hope that is o.k. :)

P.S. My mom has an English Mastiff...they are such awesome dogs!

Chad, Laura, Sara and Seth said...

What a great attitude - keep it up. Are you in MB (thought you might, because it looks like to attended the CAFAC ed session in person)? If so, maybe we will see you at an Ethiopian get-together sometime soon.

Cheers, Laura