Friday, August 15, 2008

Song of the Waiting Mother

As I was reading through Toddler Adoption: The Weaver's Craft by Mary Hopkins-Best I was moved by this poem. It was written in 1987 by Christine Futia.

Song of the Waiting Mother

I'm pregnant, but my tummy isn't growing.
And no one ever calls me "Little Mom."
The public simply isn't overflowing
With questions that I'd handle with aplomb.

There are no special clothes to mark my waiting.
Nobody stops and smiles as I pass by.
The absence of a due-date is frustrating
And looking at the nursery makes me cry.

When I'm overdue no one will worry.
The phone won't ring and ring as friends check in.
I can't induce my labor in a hurry,
My new life as a parent to begin.

Adoption is a worrisome endeavor,
And waiting all alone is not much fun.
To be "with child" a year seems like forever.
Dear God, we're ready! Please send us our son!

3 comments:

;) said...

That poem is sooo true! Thanks so much for posting it. I may have to scrap book it.
Shannon

Mrs. Frugal said...

I love this poem! Thank you for your comments on my blog!

The Warren Family said...

Great poem, I have not seen that one before!
Thanks for sharing!

PS. I know you like running,I can't wait to see how fast the olympic runners 5K is (I want to get back into running again), I am sure their times will be just crazy!